Monday, June 20, 2005

Win Ben Stein's Bunny

Days Walking - 126

Thanks for the additional book recomendations, y'all! I'll probably finish these two within the next couple of days, so your books are likely to be tracked down and devoured.

Jake and Anneli have made their decision. They're quitting the team and heading down to Texas, where they'll be staying with Jake's family. Until they get on their feet, that is. One of his uncles has a position lined up for him, it seems. It's a factory position, but hey it's something. Jake's fortunate to be heading home with a job waiting.

Going home with a bun in the oven! I wonder how Jake's family will react to a pregnant daughter-in-law whom they've never met? They seem like cool people, from the way he's described them, so it should be ok. I don't envy Anneli that first day, meeting everyone and trying to make a good impression. She's spoken to his Mom and Dad on the phone, so she won't be meeting them completely out of the blue.

They'll be catching a plane on Wednesay, and there's that, two more people gone. Insert big sigh here. Why do they get to go? Just because she got knocked up. Hell, I could have done that. Or I could have royally f*cked up my knee, and "see ya guys!" I could be at home with my Dad and my kitty and my friends and my pink patchwork comforter my Aunt Laura made for me when I was a baby. Bastards and their excuses.

Caeled (our computer expert) has been trying to figure out what's wrong with my laptop - yesterday I had a couple dozen fonts, and today, all I have is 'Arial'. How weird is that? Where would the fonts go? Who would steal fonts? Very weird. When you look in the control panel, 'fonts' folder they're all there. Why can't I use them in a document? Hmm.

Considering the amount of cranking necessary to use the laptop and time and effort to keep it clean and functional out in the wild, I'm considering shipping it home. I'd like to reduce the amount of heavy crap that I'm carrying, and all the assorted stuff for the laptop, its batteries, power supply, discs, DVDs, on and on, I just don't know if it's worth it anymore.

I've managed to ween myself from television, so internet access seems the next vice to quash. Caeled would be keeping his laptop, so if we needed to look up an emergency first-aid factoid (not that you aren't brilliant, Ms. Church), we could still do that. I don't know if I wanna lug this stuff any more. I need to thoroughly mull the idea and its repurcussions.

Maybe I would finally get some writing done if I wasn't distracted by The Web. It's so easy to get carried from one page to another, willy nilly, without end. It's almost like the seven degrees of Kevin Bacon thing - each page always makes me think about someone or something else, so I'll stay on 'Just another five minutes' which turns into hours of mindless clicking.

Ok, it's not exactly mindless and I do learn interesting facts, but to what use? I am a treasure trove of useless information, and short of going on a game show, I don't know what good it would do me.

Speaking of game shows, I phone-tested for 'Win Ben Stein's Money' years ago, back when it was still in production. I passed, (it was surprisingly easy) and they wanted me to come down for the in-person tests. Of course, I was too young to qualify at that time, so I never went. I've always liked Ben Stein though, I have a thing for smart and funny guys. Plus he looks like he'd be ticklish.

Litany Webb, signing off

Jump to Start..........FAQ..........Previous Post..........Next Post

1 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Kato said...

Sounds like you might have run into the reclusive Font Gnomes of the Wastelands of Northern Ack. Devilish creatures: they steal your fonts and then use them in their secret ceremonies. I think they're actually trying to publish a book or something, I'm not really sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home