Sunday, March 13, 2005

Buttons as Money and Chicks for Free

Days Walking - 27

It's Medical Day! Wheee!

Like in grade school, remember?
Where they herd you all the nurse's office and screen you for scoliosis.

After Caeled's fungus issue, I became somewhat paranoid and asked Church to give me a thorough once-over. She obliged, and it seems I'm doing all right, but have a couple of blisters that I should be paying a little more attention to.

And there is a lot of waxy buildup in the ear dept. Who knew? I clean them every day. And I'm losing some hair, there's a thinning spot behind my right ear. Church theorizes that I am pulling it out, from tugging on it, chewing on it, etc. 'A Nervous Habit', it seems. "Ooooh, look who knows so much?" (Trivia - what movie is that from?)

Kthrne asked a good question!
'What medical supplies are you carrying?'

We have a few medical books - gotta be prepared if Church is the one who's hurt. 'Backcountry First Aid and Extended Care', and 'Medicine for the Outdoors'...

And there's another one, that I can't remember the name of. We're actually reading them, too. We're not carrying that many books, and you can't count on the laptop functioning in an emergency, so we can't just have medical advice on DVD. These are books we had to carry, and have multiple copies of. So we end up reading about things like how to perform emergency tracheotomies, knowledge which I hope never to have occasion to use.

Kthrne, your question has prompted Church to do a thorough inventory, (cause, you know, there aint much to do out here. You get bored. You clean, preen, and groom a lot. Repair clothes and equipment. Sewing buttons is big fun. I think in a few more weeks, buttons are going to become currency. Especially now that the Twinkies are all gone.

"...I'll give you three buttons for that Little Debbie Swiss Cake Roll."
"Hmn. Make it four and you got a deal..."

As complete a medical list as I am willing to ramble off is:
Band-Aids, Blister Treating Pads, Examination Gloves, Sterile Gauze Strips, Sterile Gauze Pads, Medical Tape, Butterfly Stitches, Irrigation Syringe, Athletic tape, Duct Tape, Ace Bandages, a Digital Thermometer, Pain Pills, Cough Syrup (Tussin Baby!), Tylenol Flu, Antihistamines, Emergency Epinephrine Pen, Nasal Spray, Cough drops...

And:
Kaopectate Pills, Antibiotic Ointment, Antifungal Ointment, Iodine, Moldable SAM Splints, Myoflex Cream, Sunscreen, Lip Protection, Vitamins, Sleeping Pills, Rehydration Salts, Dramamine Tablets, Scalpel, Forceps, Surgical Scissors, Mylar Blanket, a Diagnostic Instrument Set, consisting of an Otoscope, an Ophthalmoscope, and a Bent Arm Illuminator, ooh nifty.

Enough E.R. info!!

Some folks have asked if I'm listening to iPod radio - apparently, some peoples with skills and lots of free time have their own radio station-like things going on, and you can download their show from their web site or some such. No iPod radio for me. When we reach a landline, you can bet I'll be getting my download on though. iPod radio is a cool idea. I mean, people have for a long while now been able to create whatever audio they want and serve it from their web site, but it's neat that with MP3 players, there is more a venue for actually listening to the content. Neat!

Anneli did a few cool sketches the other day, she's good! I didn't even know she was an arteest. I guess Engineering involves some drafting? Or is it all on computers now? I'll have to ask her. Some day when we find a scanner, I'll have to post a few. If she lets me. Hey, if there are Xerox machines in Columbia, there are surely scanners in Alaska.

During the meanwhile, here's a new pic.



Sometimes I get vertigo for a few moments, when the sun and sky look too similar. The ground is supposed to be brown, green, black and grey, dammit!

Litany Webb, signing off

(Sorry for the late post. We just got home from Church - Marina)

Jump to Start..........FAQ..........Previous Post..........Next Post

5 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I was imagining your environs much differently..Its..so..so TUNDRA Whoda thunk? I imagined more water, rocks and knarly trees. You must be north of the treeline still..

Won't you be glad to hit Canada heh heh

H

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Robin said...

For a trip like yours its obvious you'd take a lot of time to plan carefully, but I'm still continually impressed with the fact that you've provided for every contingency. I once took part in a group project in which we had to rate the importance of a list of items to take on a trek through the desert--based on my score I wouldn't have made it a week.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Robin said...

P.s. I was going to answer your trivia question, but I have to confess that I found a website in which you type in the quote and it tells you what movie it's from (it helps my 'condition' :) )
http://imdb.com/Sections/Quotes/

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

nice photo. vertigo indeed...it looks like the sky is crooked.

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger kthrne said...

Wow, that's a comprehensive answer.

Canada... Only good things come from there. Or I just can't remember any bad ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home