Saturday, April 02, 2005

There Be Bluffs Up In Here

Days Walking - 47

We clocked in at 10 miles today, holy cow I’m pretty sure that’s our best day yet.

Everything seemed to click together this morning, and we all got up, got ready in an efficient manner, and were on the go with minimum BS.

We have arrived at Franklin Bluffs Camp!!
@ Dalton Highway Mile 383
77 feet elevation

There doesn’t seem to be a camp site at ‘Franklin Bluffs Camp’… There’s the eponymous bluffs in the distance, an abandoned airstrip, and snow snow and also snow.



Sir John Franklin was the first white dude to ‘discover’ the bluffs.

“Holy Shizzle!” He remarked, as was his way.
(He was a wild and crazy exploring guy)

“They be Bluffs all up in here!” He giggled and began drawing little upside down V’s on his map-in progress.

The Native Peeps, having found the bluffs 10,000 years previously, were unimpressed.

And there are some snow-covered pingo’s on the plain below us.

Pingo? No?

Ahh have I not described pingo’s yet? They’re tundra landforms caused by the ground freezing, melting, and refreezing over a few hundred years.

Some pingo’s are more than 200 feet high. As the tundra thaws and melts, water fills in cracks, which then expands again when freezing. Over time, (couple hundred years) this creates a series of humps that get together to play King of the Mountain - Look Ma, No Limbs!

Adrian still won’t tell me why his girlfriend abandoned him in the desert. Of course, I cannot properly pester him without talking. Wheedling, nagging, and harassment is definitely more difficult while maintaining mum. All I can do is stare at him with wide-open, pleading eyes that say “Whaaaat? Tell me!”

Today is all about 80’s Music.
You spin me right round baby…

Thinking back over the reasoning for my musical tastes, I cringe a bit by how influenced I was / am by friends and family. Dad loves 70’s and 80’s, so I learned from him. Shelly was all about Classic Industrial, and so I learned about Ministry, Sisters of Mercy, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, etc.

Eric was all laid back, and enjoyed him some Dead Can Dance, Enya, Sinead, Zero 7, Loreena McKennitt, Moire Brennan… Yeah I should have known that Eric and I were not destined to wed - I’m not Irish enough. Oh well.

I need to branch out more in my musical tastes, get some opinions of my own, find some stuff that’s all about me.

Yeah, those are my deep thoughts for the day, that I need to get a life, and some music to go with it.

Also, I’m craving a mall. Browsing an EB Games and a visit to a Mrs. Fields snackery sounds real good right now.

Litany Webb, signing off

Jump to Start..........FAQ..........Previous Post..........Next Post

4 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger Kato said...

Pingo's rule! Can you pick me up one and FedEx it next time you reach civilization? I think it would look great in my apartment next to my ancient black monolith and giant Olmec stone head.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Eponymous! You used the word Eponymous! I had a cat named Eponymous when I was in university. She was very snooty and smart - Actually liked flushing the toilet to watch the water spin down the bowl.

Pingo's are very cool!

And finally - funny you refer to Dead or Alive today...I was surfing today and came across a "Whatever happened to Pete Burns" - the lead singer. My best friend in grade 8 thought he was hot. Needless to say he is a total freak of nature today.
Another Michael Jackson gone horriby awry situation. Very scary. His plastic surgeon needs to be hunted down and have his scapel and collagen injector physically removed.

Anyway...good to hear you made the 10 mile mark today!

~H

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Robin said...

You know...I wasn't gonna say anything, but you do need to go get a life...be adventurous, see the world...
In the words of someone, somewhere, sista puhleeze!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger -E said...

There is nothing wrong with 80s music.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home