Monday, June 06, 2005

Please Excuse The Mess...

Days Walking - 112

Gabe’s knee was improved enough that we moved on today, though slowly. We made only about five miles total. We’re trying to convince him - not a fun project - to allow us to get him a ride into Fairbanks.

We’re only about eighteen miles out at this point. He’s moving on the knee, but we’re not sure he should be. It’s clear that it’s causing him pain with every step. We’re gonna try to encourage him to stop hiking and catch a ride.

I’m pleased to report that Day 1 of Jake and Anneli’s engagement went well, not a tiff to be heard! I’ve passed all of your thoughtful congratulations on to the happy couple, and they send back a cheerful thanks! I think they're enjoying all the extra attention.

Dad’s doing good, I’ve taken to calling him morning and night now, instead of the once per day as was our habit before he got sick.

Heather - Thanks for the hiking-while-preggers info! Wow, seven months is a long time. I don’t know that she should walk for that long, even if she could. And with a damn heavy pack to carry, the chance of slipping and falling, getting hit by an eighteen wheeler, on and on.

Enid - The wedding plans, I dunno. I would guess that they would fly to their family, probably hers, and marry there. I mean, what’s cheaper, flying like twenty people to Ack or two people to Maine?

Anneli and Jake haven’t discussed their exact plans with us yet - They want to get to a doctor, and get her checked out, make sure she’s really pregnant, and how far along, and what is the health of the baby if she is with child, certainment.

And after they get answers to their prenatal queries, they’ll be able to make an informed decision. If it was me, I think I would have to play it super safe and get my ass to a civilized city pronto, and make sure I went to the doctor daily weekly or bimonthly or whatever the correct fetus-scanning schedule is.

How could you tell your kid “Sorry you were born with club feet. If only I’d taken the proper amount of riboflavin. My bad. But you know, I was busy hiking through Ack right then and couldn‘t be bothered to stop. Now gimp on over there and get Momma the TV Guide.” No.

I overheard Caeled and Gabe chatting about Jake and Anneli’s situation, and they were both opting for having the couple stay with us. There is definite willingness to help carry Anneli's gear, make allowances, etc which is so cool. But they're also talking as if quitting the hike would be like losing a contest or something. I didn’t speak up to them, but it did get me thinking.

If Jake and Anneli quit the hike - I mean this is really a kind of extended vacation, even though it feels more important than that. I don't know that I buy in to the whole "I need to find myself" bullshit. You can meditate on your Purpose at home, you shouldn't need close encounters with grizzlies to Get Real.

Why does The Pilgrimage seem more important to us than a longer than average camping trip? I don’t know. It’s not like we’re charting new territory, Claiming New Land For Queen and Country or anything. I think it has personal importance for each of us, we all have our own reasons for being here.

I know that I was really fed up with life in the city, and all of the bullsh*t of daily life. But who isn’t? I just wanted to get some perspective, spend time in the great outdoors, and hopefully meet lots of people.

I mostly wanted to meet people, and we’ve met far fewer than I’d hoped. Obviously we picked the wrong state, if we want to meet and greet. I can think of a good twenty states that are more populous than Ack. Of course, a higher population doesn't mean the people will be friendly. I feel the inverse is true, in high density areas.

Cindy - Greets and Welcome. Sorry I did not say Hi the other day, we’ve got a lot going on (stuff is actually happening for a change!) and I’m very easily distracted. Sorry the place is such a mess just now. Usually I’m not so serious, don’t get the wrong idea. Read back a few weeks and give the goofy babblings a skim.

Litany Webb, signing off

Jump to Start..........FAQ..........Previous Post..........Next Post

1 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Heather said...

And after much celebrating, the introspection begins. I really am with you - if I were preggers again (knocking on woodsm fingers and legs crossed and holding a lucky rabbits foot praying to Mary, Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Vishnu and all else who would dare listen to me intenally shout NOOOOO!)...again, if it were me, I'd be opting for the comfort of a place with accessibility to a hosp, electricity and running water...
Anyway...

But as for you...I don't think you need "to find yourself" as a reason to take this pilgrimmage. At least I have been taking it with more seriousness than an extended hiking trip on the tundra. (If it were just an extended camping trip, then Cancun would suffice would it not?). This is uncharted territory. I've never followed anyone on such a trip, you and your group have not taken it before...all the experiences, thoughts, conversations, sights, smells, sounds etc.(etc) are all new for you to be discovered. I am rooting for you to continue! In fact I was a bit worried that despite the preggie situation, your stop in Fairbanks may have dispersed your energy and desire to continue. I look forward to seeing how this unfolds!! And hope that bum knee gets sorted out...and soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home