Thursday, February 17, 2005

Portishead, I Invoke Thee!

Days Walking - 4

I listened to Portishead all day yesterday.
There's something so pure, so undulating about their music.
It's a damn shame that it's been so long since they put anything new into the world.

...Of course, if I had put out two amazing, world-changing albums, I would be daunted by the very blaspheme of contemplating a third album. How do you top what you've done? How do you better perfection, grow and change in new directions, and still retain the essence of your previous work? Too much pressure.

So, I was listening to Portishead all day yesterday, grooving to the bass, the scratches, the savory, almost prurient pelvic rhythm. Beth Gibbons was singing her ass off just for me, and I was inspired to write a Portishead song of my own.

All right, so you have to hear it in your head.

Start with hearing the driving, coy, mysterious beat.
Minimal but impossible to forget.
The vocals, full of real emotion, need, desperation...

Hear it, don't just read it...
_ _ _ _ _

Lost - By Litany Webb

fall below
fall between
fall behind now, left unseen
dreaming dreams I’ve seen so bright
far beneath now, out of sight
fallen men deemed so high
truth be told I know not why
where they went, why they came
hidden faces glow with shame
frightened children where they hide
hearts of coal they find inside
here they weep, hear them cry
truth be told, I know not why
souls unchanged, left undone,
war forgotten battle won
soldiers reach out for their sky
without love we all must die
now we search for truth alone
our bright below is bleached white bone
truth before us, no more lies
curse of fallen echoes rise
fall below
fall between
fall behind now, left unseen
dreaming dreams I’ve seen so bright
far beneath now, out of sight…
_ _ _ _ _

It's not worthy of Portishead, but they have inspired me, and I love them!

I apologize, this isn't a very interesting post. After breakfast, I will give you a real one, like you are used to, full of incoherent goodness.

Litany Webb, signing off.

Jump to Start..........FAQ..........Previous Post..........Next Post

3 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Blogger grace said...

beth gibbons has an album out with rustin man. it's not trip-hop, but you can just hear her voice... it's lovely. (album's called "out of season.")

not that i don't love my trip hop... but i really do love her voice.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Robin said...

I couldn't hear it, but I definitely saw and felt it.
I don't know Portishead, but if their songs are like this one I should check 'em out.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Portishead seems perfect for an isolated stretch, wasteland, a hard slog. good programing. good blog. good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home