Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Impossibly Warm Hands

Days Walking - 3

Seven miles today.
Was that really all? After all that determination, effort, burned calories, crunch crunch crunch of snow? It's really more of a squeak than a crunch.

I had some really bizarre dreams last night.
In one of them, I had just reached the end of a long day of walking (weird, I know) and I pulled off my boots. You know how your feet feel all light and floaty after taking boots off? So my feet started floating, right up into the air, taking me with them. I was hanging upside down and flailing and yelling for help, but no one was nearby. I floated off into the sky. That was the end.

Biting chapped lip in deep thought, ouch....
Perhaps I'll consult a dream interpretation web site. Maybe I should have brought a dream book along. No, I have enough to carry. I wonder if they have software versions, so you can just type up your dream and then let it process the subconsious musings for any symbolism.

Oh Oh Oh! We had a random encounter in the forest - It was a couple of hours after lunch...

So we're walking along, being stupid loud Americans, and I almost stepped in a trap. Like, a trappers trap, something you'd use to catch a little critter for roasting. So I stop short, and Caeled almost tramples me. Thousands of miles of open nothingness, and he's right on my heels. So I barked at him and he fell over instead on top of me. Which is good, because then I would have fallen into the trap and I woulda had to gnaw my arm off to escape.

But I wouldn't have had to resort to cannibalism (is it cannibalism if you don't swallow? I guess if it's not drug use when you don't inhale, then...no) because Sivaluaq was there, the sexiest man on the face of the planet. He was very kind. His Name is Sivaluaq. He's from Kivalina, and his mother is Sally. I don't know how the snow and ice around him manages not to just melt in a torrent, a huge flood that would swallow him up.

Sivaluaq is a native of the area, of the Inupiaq tribe. He spelled all this out for me, on my hand with a blue-inked UniBall Vision Elite that I will never use again. The pen, not my hand. I need to take a picture of my hand before it blurs.

My hand. Which he held in his impossibly warm hands. Sivaluaq is dark-haired and clean-shaven and athletic, the kind of athletic that comes from being A Real Man, of which there are only a few thousand on the planet. They should be on the endangered species list, I mean damn this boy is fine. He's 24 and has skillful, delicious strong hands and he saved me from having to gnaw off a limb.

Hold on. Food time. Wow, Jake - Vegetable Ramen, really? Not for me.

Why is there corn? Why?

brb

Litany Webb, signing off

Jump to Start..........FAQ..........Previous Post..........Next Post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home